Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Self Introduction

Hi everyone!

My name is Scott Trepper and I'm a first year resident Master's student studying IST. I spent most of my childhood in northwest Indiana before beginning my undergraduate at Indiana University Bloomington. My degree was in Communications and Psychology. 

For the longest time I've been interested in the teaching process. I participated in several teaching internships during my undergraduate and usually spend a portion of my summer volunteering at a local elementary school. I'm grateful our program has provided me opportunities to practice designing instruction as I hope to some day work in the field of education.

For fun, I really love watching movies. Although it's difficult to find the time during the school year. I do try to make it to the IU Cinema as often as possible. It truly is a Bloomington gem that must be experienced at least once.  I also considering myself a futurist in that I love thinking about and talking about the future. I subscribe to subreddits like "science," and "technology" just so I can be wowed by all the fantastic things constantly being discovered.

I genuinely look forward to working along side of everyone in our class! 

-Scott Trepper (219-617-2522)

4 comments:

  1. I didn’t know that you have Communications and Psychology in your background!!! I also didn’t know that you are volunteering at an elementary school in summers. Sounds really cool!!! I hope you would share the volunteering experience for our project :)

    IU Cinema…. I didn’t try it. What kind of movies (or plays?) are available?

    Thank you very much for telling me about a new jargon of futurist. In your definition, I think I’m a futurist too! I’m always thinking about the next time I can see my boyfriend in Japan! I see him through skype every weekend. I will see him this summer because I will go back to Japan. He will visit Bloomington next year’s fall! I’m going to introduce him to you all then :)

    I guess I’m more boyfriendist.

    Anyway, I’m really happy to be in the same group with you again! Let us enjoy and work hard for our project again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your response, Kei! I'd be happy to share all I learned from my volunteer experience. And the IU Cinema usually shows classic or Independent films. They never show anything that would also play at the "big" AMC theaters in town.

    And I can't wait to meet your boyfriend! I've heard such nice things about him. I would also love to hear him play music if he ever has the chance.

    Have a great semester!
    -Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings Scott,

    Welcome to R541! I have never been to the IU Cinema either. I'm thinking field trip? ;)

    All kidding aside, I'm interested in what has made you decide to pursue the IST degree? What do you like to do once finishing? In terms of teaching, would ever consider being a classroom teacher?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dr. Leftwich,

    Thanks for your questions! I applied for the IST department after performing a google search with the terms "technology" and "education." And if that isn't the biggest oversimplification of the program than I don't know what is! But I use that anecdote to illustrate that I genuinely was drawn to IST because of a dual interest in pedagogy and its relation to technology.

    My dad is a professor of Psychology at Purdue (Calumet) and is in the process of converting his courses to an online format. My experience watching him do this also contributed to my wanting to learn more about the changes going on in academia catalyzed by technology.

    And I'm not sure I'd ever consider becoming a classroom teacher. Although, I would like to find ways to "teach" in whatever career I end up in.

    Thanks again for your questions!

    -Scott

    ReplyDelete