Thursday, January 17, 2013

Infographic Principle


My design principle: An infographic should keep their audience in mind when designing the graphic.

This is likely an obvious principle that pervades multiple design theories. However, I was reminded about the principle’s importance after seeing all the varied infographics that were brought into class. For example, the audience of the infographic below could roughly be assumed to be young music lovers that attend concerts. The infographic actually does advertise “Bonnaroo”, a music festival, and the information it displays are the names of bands attending. The graphic puts creativity and artistry over clarity because the designers realize that their audience holds similar values. Also, the design harkens back to the concert posters of the 60s and 70s that additionally employed the style in order to emphasize their culture’s subversive nature.




I believe the humorous infographic below illustrate how some people are tired of seeing graphics “cut from the same mold” rather than being designed with an audience in mind. When I imagine the standard infographic it is very similar to the one below. There are size-scaled numbers, pictures, and words on a long, vertical page. Considering many of us have determined creativity to be an important infographic quality, we may also want to remember that that creative element has a relationship with the audience perceiving it. 








Sources:
Bonnaroo Infographic: http://bit.ly/SSnc34
Criticism Infographic: http://eagereyes.org/media/2010/infographics.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Wow! The first one is really creative!!! I even did not recognized it as an infographic. Probably it breaks rules of what infographic generally follow. The texts are hard to read and the content does not make sense to me at all without your explanation. I'm not the audience they are intending for!

    Yet, as you say, it would be really attractive, impressible as well as understandable for certain audiences. I was convinced the importance of keeping audiences in mind. Although I would create an infographic for slightly more broader audience so that more people would enjoy it as an infographic not as an art. Means I'd like to learn from infographics rather than to be attracted by its beauty.

    I think the infographics on my blog are for general audience but maybe they are for those who are attracted by pink very much :)

    The second one is also extremely creative!!! HAHAHA!!! I actually love the second one over the first one. It uses a standard format but in a very creative way. It is the first time for me to see a 100% pie chart!! The inforgaphic is simple but ideas there is really unique and I can tell the intelligence of the creator.

    Although the numbers and the chart are not appropriate to be cited anywhere, the second infographic makes a really strong impression and I cannot forget the message conveyed by it!!!

    ReplyDelete