Friday, February 22, 2013

Job Aid Thoughts


For this week’s blog post, I decided to collect my thoughts regarding possible job aid topics. The first consideration is that the aid must be for a job that does not take place over a long time. Also, the activity should not be segmented so the person completing it can more easily and directly follow the aid. Finally, I wanted to discuss categories of job aids that I believed could be improved from how they are currently presented with the use of technology.

Topic 1: Recipes
I really liked Kipp’s blog comments concerning how cook book recipes have not changed from their usual, text-heavy communication style. I too think that this kind of job aid could be improved in some ways. For example, a video recipe that allows users to click through the different steps could be an improvement because the video would only progress when the user was ready. Also, a text-based recipe could be improved by allowing the user to cross out steps that they have already completed. This tool might further be improved by highlight whatever step the user is currently engaged in so they are even more focused on the specific step.

Topic 2: Navigation
One of my favorite job aids is Google Navigation. Google Navigation helps me complete the procedural job of driving to a specific location by giving turn-by-turn directions in real time. In terms of currently unrealistic improvements, indoor navigation could be of incredible use to users. For example, turn-by-turn directions would be very helpful for someone looking for a specific book section in Barnes and Noble. A more feasible improvement might be the ability to minimize the navigation so users can use a music playing application, for example, without needing to exit the navigation. As you can tell, I don’t believe job aids need to completely engage a user to be well designed.

-Scott 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Scott,

    I like the idea of improving the recipes. I have an app on my Iphone that can display the recipe step by step. Users can also upload pictures of their cooking and share their experiences. You can are welcome to take a look if you are interested.

    I agree that job aids do not require as much attention and engagement as formal instructions do. The indoor navigation sounds great since I get lost in department stores easily. And it's innovative to me that navigation is a kind of job aid, too.

    ReplyDelete